Wave Universe 5: Welcome to fast.
For runners looking to shatter PRs and go fast on race day, the Wave Universe 5 is the obvious choice. At 2.8 oz, the Wave Universe 5 is airy light on the foot yet still provides a brilliant running experience.
- The lightest shoe in the universe removes the barriers between you and a brilliant performance.
- U4ic midsole provides resiliency and a smooth ride at a fraction of the weight of traditional midsoles.
- G3 SOLE has lightweight, superior traction, creating a pure connection to the ground.
Quick History on Me:
* I am 46 and have been running since the age of 8
* From 8 to 40, I ran in Asics but could not get past 8 miles with IT Band Issues
* I sweat heavily when I run and live in the Dallas, TX area which is warm and humid
* Running is my passion-I am now running about 60 miles per week ... what changed?
* After my last IT Band Injury, I had lots of time to research shoes and running styles
* Minimalist Running really stood out and made sense
* Looking at the Vibrams and other barefoot shoes was not appealing
* I found the Wave Universe 3's.
* I ordered and ran in them and was able to increase my distances to 13 miles
* I ordered a replacement pair and no issues - distance to 18 miles
* I ordered two pairs of Wave Universe 4's and increased my distance to 23 miles
Mistake and Regrets...
* Ist step in to a forefront strike - Newtons - two pairs over 8 months
* Problem: uncomfortable strike over time and very low mileage - max of 320 miles
* I then tried Altra Zero Drop Shoes
* Fit was good but I started getting blisters and the straps created pressure points
* I then tried Vibram Bikala's, very comfortable but I also got blisters in these
* During a run, I stepped on a rock under my second toe metatarsal - fractured
* After almost 5 months of downtime, I made the best choice to go back to Mizuno
March of 2013
* I opened my unused pair of Wave Universe 4's and started my way back
* March through August I was able to slowly increase my mileage to 16 miles
* I ordered my Wave Universe 5's and started wearing them on September 1st
MY REVIEW OF THE WAVE UNIVERSE 5's - Part I
Weight? Put Running Socks in one hand and the shoes in the other... Can you tell the difference? I cannot.
Upper: Very thin and lightweight mesh - I can only compare it to spider silk and so far, it is just as strong and very breathable.
Lower: A thinner, slightly spongier version of the sole on the 4's. With 245 miles in, they are holding up pretty well.
Fit: Like the 3's and 4's, they fit a glove. These shoes almost feel like a sock which makes them even more comfortable.
Durability: My original concern was the strength of the upper; however, my only concern now is the sole. These have held up well over the first 31 days and 245 miles and I am hoping to get over 500 miles out of these like I did the 3's and 4's.
Look: Some people don't care for it; however, I've had 20 to 1 compliments to complaints ratio.
Smell: After about 2 weeks of intense running in very warm and humid conditions, the shoes will become ripe. Why: As breathable as they are, they do absorb a bit of odor.
Washability: YES!!! I wash mine about every two weeks along with my running belt. I wash them in a regular cycle and dry them in the dryer. I do place them in a mesh garment bag to keep the laces from getting wound around other items.
* Primary Issue: The tongue can slip down making it a bit uncomfortable.
Temp Solution: I used a very small zip tie and strapped it to the laces
* Minor Request: It would be nice to get velcro sides to and bypass laces
OCTOBER 18, 2013 - 395 Miles Completed!
Longest Run - 31 miles
Average Run - 16 miles
Total Miles � 395
* Durable for normal distance running - not sure about how they would hold up with lots of turns
* Very Breathable and hold up well wet and dry - no holes or rips
* Solid Construction
* New Heel never rubs or slips
* Take a beating
* Handle hot ground better than the 3's and 4's
* As lightweight as these are, they needs to dry a bit faster
* Better lace control. When tight, they can press against the top of the foot and feel a bit loose near the toes
* Velcro would be a plus
* A better cushioning control or cups in the heel - stepping on a small rock can hurt and/or bruise the heel
* Maybe a thin gel suspension system to allow the impact to evenly spread throughout the shoes
* An extra millimeter deep sole would give an extra 100 miles and bring the distance to the level of the 4's
* A bit harder compound at the base to spread the impact through the mids
MY OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:
I Love these shoes and do recommend them as they are. My hope is the engineers at Mizuno continue to make improvements to these shoes, especially as it pertains to dispersing energy throughout the soles and midsection. �
The 4's definitely last longer but the 5's feel better (almost non-existent) and, when the laces are perfectly adjusted, fit like a glove. I've purchased my second pair already and will probably have to get another pair in December.
While the Wave Universe 5 is technically a racing flat for mid-distances, I have logged a couple of long runs in the shoes and have had nothing but positive results. Once you begin running, you forget the shoes are on your feet as they are so light and comfortable with ample underfoot protection.
Do yourself a favor and try the Wave Universe 5.
Aside form that, these shoes seem pretty great if you want something minimal. I'll update this after I actually put some miles on them.